An angler in southern England was so happy with his catch that he tried to kiss it.
A prank nearly proved fatal when a 28-year-old man swallowed a dover sole he had just caught, reported The Independent.
Paramedics were called and when they touched base at Boscombe wharf in Dorset the evening of 5 October they found the man, who has not been recognized, had crumpled and quit relaxing.
The sole is similar to the flounder, seen here in the hands of a fisherman in the Baltic Sea.
SWAS paramedic Matt Harrison said they knew time was very short.
Boy Scout Backlash - Girls Scouts Say 'No Boys Allowed'
One question that has come up is what impact this will have on the Girl Scouts, which is a separate organization. And forming a united pack is important to these families.
"With the first clinician on scene in less than two minutes, friends directed the crew along the dimly-lit pier, where another friend was already performing CPR, as directed by the calm emergency medical dispatcher on the line from the 999 control room". The unnamed man was given constant CPR and after six attempts to removed the flat fish, paramedics managed to get him breathing again. He ran back down Boscombe Pier in Bournemouth in a panic with the fish lodged in his airway before he collapsed.
Mr Harrison said that re-assessment of the patient inside the ambulance indicated further deterioration of his condition and a decline of cardiac output.
They made five attempts to pull the fish free but the thwarted by its barb and gills which were stuck in the angler's throat.
"It could so easily have had such a tragic and devastating outcome", he said.
Mr Harrison included: "I have never gone to a more unusual occurrence and don't think I ever will - yet we're all so happy the patient has no enduring impacts from his heart failure, which could so effectively have had such a lamentable and decimating result".