Alleged explosive device found at previously attacked KZN mosque

Alleged explosive device found at previously attacked KZN mosque

Alleged explosive device found at previously attacked KZN mosque

One man succumbed to his injuries in hospital.

Investigations are ongoing after a suspected explosive device, connected to a mobile phone, was discovered at a Verulam mosque, which came under attack, last Thursday.

Of the three people whose throats were slit, one is said to have died whiles the two others are in critical condition as per the last reports. Last week, the mosque was targeted by unknown men, who attacked three individuals in the mosque.

"We had a meeting with the explosive unit members, who briefed us on the device they had taken away on Sunday near the South African port city of Durban. They confirmed that its mechanism is explosive".

Oil price falls as EU, Asia resist United States pressure
OPEC has not yet signalled what this may mean for its supply cut accord, but stated that it "stands ready to support oil market stability".

South Africa is racked by violent crime and social strife rooted in poverty and glaring income disparities, but it is seldom associated with the Islamist militancy seen on other parts of the continent. The three attackers escaped in a Hyundai vehicle on the outskirts of the eastern port city.

"President Ramaphosa's thoughts particularly go out to the Muslim community of Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal, who suffered violence and tragedy in a place of worship several days ago".

It is understood that the device‚ which authorities have not concretely confirmed is a bomb‚ had been found by an electrician working in the mosque during an evening prayer.

Police have said they are still investigating the entire incident despite this latest discovering and no arrests have been made so far. "It shows hatred towards the worshippers", he said.

Latest News