Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Mum's parasite warning after daughter was left unable to walk

Mother warning others of dangers of ticks after daughter suffers tick paralysis

A MS mother is warning parents to be on alert after her 5-year-old daughter, Kailyn, was temporarily paralyzed from a tick bite.

Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook that doctors in MS performed a multitude of tests and a CT scan on her daughter, Kailyn, suspecting everything from a stroke to a neurological syndrome - until they found the cause of little girl's odd symptoms: A tick on the crown of her head.

Jessica Griffin, from MS in the USA, said she did not realise anything was wrong with Kailyn until the little girl woke up last Wednesday morning. After tons of blood work and a CT of the head UMMC has ruled it as tick paralysis! She included two photos in her post, which were the tick in Kailyn's head and the removed tick in a plastic bag.

Griffin said that her daughter was admitted to hospital as they conducted tests. It was unclear what type of tick bit her daughter. Tick paralysis occurs mostly in the spring and early summer, and is reported more commonly in children, probably due to their smaller body mass. Symptoms tend to appear four to seven days after a tick bite and go away within 24 hours of removing the tick, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. According to Griffin's Facebook posts, her daughter was discharged later that day and has recovered normally. This was brought on through a tick bite. Scary is a UNDERSTATEMENT! Paralysis sets in slowly, starting in the legs and spreading into upper body, stopping your breathing if left unchecked. "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday.

Previous year a three-year-old girl was a victim of tick paralysis, only diagnosed after a doctor scoured her hair and found the tick embedded in her skull.

Consumers’ Internet Use Could Change As ‘Net Neutrality’ Ends
With the repeal of the new rules and the general-conduct provisions, the FCC will no longer have any oversight over such programs. Net neutrality, which once required internet service providers to treat all online content the same, is now gone starting Monday.

Symptoms usually begin with numbness or tingling, fatigue or weakness.

After a female tick feeds for five to seven days, the toxin builds up in a person's system.

The paralysis is more common in animals, which are unable to check themselves for the ticks. They even washed the girl's hair when they got back to their home. A nurse bathing her after she was admitted to the hospital found a tick along her hairline.

The little girl made a full recovery in hospital.

When the tick is removed, the paralysis goes away. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital.

Latest News