William Carvalho and Bas Dost join Sporting CP stars rescinding their contracts

Bas Dost

StoriesSporting are about to lose their four best players – for absolutely nothing

But after Monday's move by Dost, Martins, Fernandes and Carvalho, the president told reporters: "We will resign if the athletes write a letter to Sporting saying, firstly, that if this management quits they will reverse their terminations and play for Sporting".

However, Mane has been on loan at German club Stuttgart since the simmer of 2016, so he might not have the legal grounds to quit the club, so any transfer for him might involve a fee.

Four more Sporting Lisbon players have rescinded their contracts with the troubled Portuguese club. They all claimed "just cause" in emails sent to the commission.

Portugal worldwide stars William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, Bruno Fernandes have all rescinded their contracts, as has Dutch striker Das Bost.

The turmoil comes in the wake of the club president's comments and clashes with the fans.

Trump Says That Without Otto Warmbier, North Korea Summit Wouldn't Have Happened
Trump said he raised the issue of human rights with Kim, and he believed the North Korean leader wanted to "do the right thing". We're not special, but we're Americans and we know what freedom's like, and we have to stand up for this.

Club president Bruno de Carvalho suspended 19 players after losing to Atletico Madrid in the Champions League quarter-final first leg, while angry fans attacked players and staff during a training session in May. Police detained more than 20 suspects in the hours following the incident.

The Lisbon club are now in turmoil as the result of a rift between the squad and both the club's president Bruno de Carvalho and a radical group of supporters.

De Carvalho has previously rejected calls by senior club members to stand down, accusing them of carrying out a "concerted attack on Sporting".

There were recent reports - all unconfirmed - blaming De Carvalho for the attacks by fans on the players and coaches.

Patricio, Carvalho, Martins and Fernandes are all with Portugal in Russian Federation getting ready for their World Cup opener against Spain on Friday.

Latest News