Bacterial infection kills man who ate raw oyster at Florida restaurant

Florida health officials revealed that flesh-eating bacteria in raw oysters killed a 71-year-old man

Bacterial infection kills man who ate raw oyster at Florida restaurant

The Florida Health Department told ABC7 Sarasota that the bad oysters were eaten on July 8 and two days later the man died from gastro-intestinal illness.

The restaurant where the oyster was served was not immediately identified.

Vibrio vulnificus is a bacterium that can be contracted by eating raw shellfish, particularly oysters, or by exposing open wounds to seawater. Nonetheless, it said that this is the first confirmed case and death of Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

Florida Health recommends not going in the water if you have fresh cuts or scrapes.

Eating seafood or taking a swim in the water may seem like an essential summertime pastime, but you should be careful of the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which pops up more with the heat.

Maneka Gandhi orders inspection of all the Mother Teresa child homes
Missionaries of Charity was founded in 1950 by Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, an Albanian nun who later became known as Mother Teresa . A nun, identified as Sister Koncilia, and a staff member, Anima Indwar, were arrested in connection with trafficking.

The illness is rare but can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the agency.

"The summer time, May, June July there are no R's in there the water's warmer so the bacteria that's potentially hazardous to some people is more prevalent", Alton said.

There are approximately a dozen different types of Vibrio bacteria that can trigger various forms of a gastrointestinal illness known as vibriosis.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said". While most cases are mild, the infection can become serious and lead to limb amputation or death within days of encountering the flesh-eating bacteria. There were no reported cases past year, officials said. "We tell everybody regardless of age or immune status that they should avoid eating raw or undercooked shell fish or seafood or avoid or being in the salt water when they have an open wound or lesion on their body", Drennon said. In 2017, there were two cases and also no fatalities.

Latest News