U.S. President Donald Trump negotiated a new deal, replacing the ban with additional fines in what he said was an effort to save the company from that fate. The sales ban was still in effect on Thursday, a person familiar with the matter said, though earlier this week the Commerce Department said it would grant a one-month waiver to some companies to resume doing business with ZTE. The company's installment of new leadership comes just a few days after its previous board of directors resigned. A new CFO, CTO and head of HR have been named, as well, according to The Wall Street Journal.
ZTE, which relies on USA suppliers for core components, had to cease major operations in April after authorities imposed the ban, saying the firm broke an agreement to discipline executives who conspired to evade US sanctions on Iran and North Korea.
Van Uytvanck knocks Muguruza out of Wimbledon
Garbine Muruguza's second round exit is the earliest a Wimbledon women's singles defending champion has departed since 1994. Madison Keys has become the latest top-10 seeded woman to lose at Wimbledon after her comeback fell short.
The new top executives are longtime employees of ZTE.
The Journal reported that the swift change indicates ZTE is hurrying to meet requirements laid out by the U.S. Commerce Department as part of a deal to allow the Chinese phone-maker to do business in the United States again. Analysts have also said it would take time for ZTE to rebuild market confidence even after the ban is lifted.