Man's legs, hands amputated after contact with dog's saliva

Pet Lovers Beware! US Man’s Hands and Legs Were Amputated After Pet Dog Licks Them

US Man’s Hands and Legs Were Amputated After Pet Dog Licks Them

Greg Manteufel, a 48-year-old Wisconsin man, recently had to have both of his hands and his legs amputated after contracting a bacterial infection, most likely from a dog's licks. The infection very likely entering Greg's system by something so common: getting licked by a dog, probably his own.

Greg Manteufel, of West Bend, Wisc., landed in the emergency room last month with what he thought was the flu, Fox 6 Now reported.

48-year-old Manteufel began to go into septic shock as the mysterious symptoms continued to worsen. "Just bruising all over him", his wife, Dawn Manteufel told Fox 6 Now.

'Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat. While in the hospital, Manteufel's blood pressure dropped and the circulation to his limbs rapidly decreased, causing his legs to just "die", doctors said.

The bacteria can be transmitted to humans through bites, licks, or even close proximity with the animal - seeping into the skin even without a cut or scrape.

Being as positive as they can, Dawn stated they'd rather focus on what her husband has left, than what was taken away.

Doctors said his case is very rare.

Health alert issued for beef, poultry, and pork products over Cyclospora concern
In a recorded message, Salinas, Calif. -based Fresh Express said the recall does not affect its retail salad products. A full list of the affected products is available here, and the product labels are available here.

"This bacteria caused the sepsis in Greg's body that has completely changed not only Greg's life but his entire family's as well", states a GoFundMe page set up by Manteufel's loved ones.

Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through.

"This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs", said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert & MCW.

Within days of being admitted to the hospital, he had to have both of his feet amputated, but as the damage grew more severe, he had to have both of his legs amputated above his kneecaps.

"He told the doctors, 'Do what you have to do to keep me alive, ' " Dawn Manteufel said.

It was discovered that a life threatening infection had spread to all his limbs and due to muscle and tissue loss they had to be amputated.

"More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue", she said. She said she didn't know which dog carried the bacteria, but that he had been around eight dogs at the time he got sick, including one that belongs to the couple.

Latest News