San Juan Mayor Responds To Trump's 'Appalling' Denial Of Puerto Rico Deaths

Resident Mirian Medina stands on her property about two weeks after Hurricane Maria swept through the island

San Juan Mayor Responds To Trump's 'Appalling' Denial Of Puerto Rico Deaths

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico", Trump wrote on Twitter.

He says, "We are ready for the big one that is coming!"

"Shame on you", Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz said Tuesday after Trump's boasts of success. "You did not do a good job in Puerto Rico. Everything is by boat". A vast shipment of water bottles that were meant to be delivered to victims of 2017's destructive Hurricane Maria appear to be still sitting, unused one year later, on a runway in Ceiba, Puerto Rico.

The president praised the response to the series of storms that battered the United States a year ago, saying, "I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success".

Trump's denial that almost 3,000 people died as a result of the September 2017 storm, determined by a government report, amounts to "denial following neglect", Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz tweeted.

Earlier this week, Trump hailed his administration's response to Maria as "an incredible, unsung success".

Man Gets Arrested For Eating With Woman... In Saudi Arabia
The point that has prompted the most anger is at the end of the 30-second video when the woman appears to feed the man. While another Egyptian user, Sonia, called it a result of "fragile egos" amongst Saudi men.

"Although you don't believe it... nearly a million boxes of water that were never delivered to the villages", posted Abdiel Santana, a photographer working for a Puerto Rican state police agency who took the pictures.

"It's humiliating, it's embarrassing for our country, and I don't think this president cares", Hostin said heatedly.

For much of the past year, the government had formally acknowledged just 64 deaths from the hurricane, which ravaged much of the territory and destroyed critical infrastructure. "Get out of there".

A study published last month from George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health, which was commissioned by the Puerto Rican government, found that government emergency plans in place when Maria hit were not designed for hurricanes greater than a Category 1.

Hostin further bashed the Trump administration for not doing enough to stop preventable deaths after the storm. "Obviously with Maria, we had not a supply issue, we had distribution issues", he said during a briefing about Hurricane Florence. "I am begging. I am begging anyone that can hear us to save us from dying".

That comment took the panel by surprise as they took in the enormity of Hostin's accusation.

Latest News