Emergency Alert Test Sent to Mobile Phones Nationwide

Presidential alert system test sends millions of American phones buzzing

Emergency Alert Test Sent to Mobile Phones Nationwide

Cellphone users across the United States will receive a "President Alert" at 1:18 p.m. "No action is needed", the full text will read.

A new lawsuit filed in NY is seeking to stop the implementation of FEMA's new "Presidential Alert" messaging system, an alert used for national emergencies that can be deployed by President Trump.

It was previously supposed to be tested on September 20, 2018 but was "postponed until October 3, 2018 due to ongoing response efforts to Hurricane Florence". Given the name of the message and President Donald Trump's penchant for online communication, people have plenty of questions about this system and how it affects them.

Earlier on Wednesday, a federal judge in New York City rejected a request to block the test in a lawsuit filed last month by three New York residents. Users can not opt out of receiving the WEA test. Users can opt out of the other WEA messages about imminent threats and AMBER alerts by adjusting the settings on their mobile device, FEMA said. Most wireless alerts, like missing children messages, are sent by local and state governments and confined to phones in a particular region. With the message came a loud tone similar to that of an Amber Alert or tornado and flood warning. "The alert was a test of the broadcast system to be used in the event of a national emergency". "But people don't get their messages the way they used to".

Everyone in the U.S. received an emergency alert from President Donald Trump on their phone on Wednesday afternoon.

North Korea Said to Have Stolen a Fortune in Online Bank Heists
He will then fly to Japan and China to meet his counterparts there, according to the US State Department. He is expected to discuss a planned second summit between Kim and U.S.

In a statement, Alaska's GCI said it too would be participating in the emergency alert network as a wireless provider. "No action is required".

It should relieve every American that our country has the technological capability to alert Americans were a national emergency of existential proportions - say a nuclear exchange, asteroid, foreign invasion, etc. - to potentially occur.

A group of New Yorkers filed a lawsuit in federal court in NY arguing they should not be compelled to receive the alerts under their right to free speech.

They've since created a "cancellation template" and instilled procedure requiring two officials to sign off before any alert is sent. There is no way to opt out of receiving this "Presidential Alert".

FEMA officials use a device that's "very similar to a laptop computer", the senior FEMA official said.

Latest News