Jamal Khashoggi: Saudi Arabia lets Turkey search consulate

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman chairs the weekly session of the Cabinet at Al Yamamah Palace in Riyadh on Tuesday. — SPA

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman chairs the weekly session of the Cabinet at Al Yamamah Palace in Riyadh on Tuesday. — SPA

Turkey's government says it has seen no evidence supporting the Saudi claim that Khashoggi ever left the consulate alive.

Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post who had been living in self-imposed exile in the United States, entered the Saudi Consulate in Turkey seeking a document he needed to get married and has not been seen since.

A Turkish police source told the Middle East Eye that officials believe Khashoggi was "brutally tortured, killed and cut into pieces" while inside the consulate.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry reported on Tuesday that Saudi Arabia has granted a request to allow Turkish investigators into the Istanbul consulate.

He added that investigations are still ongoing. And hopefully that will sort itself out.

The mainstream is rightly starting to focus on the repressive history of the Saudi de facto leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, but is not emphasizing that he is also responsible for the armed onslaught against neighboring Yemen, which has killed tens of thousands of civilians, maybe more, and triggered the largest cholera epidemic in human history.

The announcement came as the Washington Post published a surveillance image of Mr Khashoggi walking into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Later on Tuesday, the Washington Post reported that USA intelligence had intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture Khashoggi, citing a source familiar with the situation.

"The consulate building will be searched in the framework of the investigation", Aksoy said in a written statement.

Pedro Martinez goes off on 'horrible' Angel Hernandez
Darling said after Benintendi stole second base, "Well, I guess [that's] from the school of never taking anything for granted". Ron Darling , working for TBS, reported Monday night that Severino didn't get to the bullpen for his warm-ups until 7:32 p.m.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has met ambassador Prince Mohammed bin Nawaf Al Saud to "seek answers", a day after Downing Street said the United Kingdom was "working urgently" to establish the facts behind the disappearance. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said officials have taken up the matter with their Saudi counterparts.

Erdogan was informed of the conclusions on Saturday, according to several people with knowledge of the briefings, and he has since dispatched officials to anonymously tell myriad news outlets, including The New York Times, that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate.

"If a person walks into premises and if he isn't stepping out, then who has to prove it?"

Human rights activists and friends of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi protest outside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, October 8, 2018.

Turkey reportedly says it is scouring road cameras for a black van believed to have carried Mr Khashoggi's body from the consulate, while the Washington Post released CCTV footage of the journalist entering the building on Monday. Rumors from within the Turkish government have portrayed these individuals as a squad dispatched from Saudi Arabia to abduct or murder Khashoggi. "Right now, nobody knows anything about it", he said. "We hear the rumors about what happened", Saudi Crown Prince and de facto ruler Mohammed Bin Salman, known in the West as MBS, told Bloomberg News in an extensive interview.

Trump, who has long criticized the US media, on Monday said he was concerned about reports regarding the journalist and did not "like hearing about it", but that he hoped the situation "will sort itself out".

Trump, speaking at the White House, said he does not know anything about Khashoggi's disappearance and that he had not yet spoken with Saudi officials about the situation.

The newspaper said that two private Gulfstream IV planes belonging to a charter service that has often worked with the Saudi government, Sky Prime Aviation, took off from Riyadh on the morning of October 2 carrying 15 passengers - all intelligence agents or government officials.

Latest News