Israel tells Lebanon and UN peacekeepers to destroy attack tunnel

Israel launches military operation to destroy 'cross-border terror tunnels'

Lebanon says Israel offered no proof of borde...

The IDF announced on 4 December the launch of Operation Northern Shield to destroy the Hezbollah transboundary tunnels to secretly transfer its militants to Israel in any potential future conflict.

The few officers entrusted with planning the operation worked in conjunction with the Gaza Division to study the methods to locate the tunnels, but at a certain point it became clear that a different approach would have to be adopted in light of the different geological conditions in the north, that include rocky terrain as opposed to the sandy soil of Gaza.

The Trump administration has voiced its support for Israel's actions.

There was no immediate reaction from Hezbollah or the Lebanese government on the United Nations statement. Israel and Hezbollah fought a 34-day war in 2006 that killed about 1,200 Lebanese and 165 Israelis.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it "holds the Lebanese government, the Lebanese Armed Forces and United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon responsible for all events transpiring in and emanating from Lebanon".

It added that one of its commanders had showed one of the tunnels to the head of UNIFIL, Major-General Sefano Del Col.

Officials said the tunnel is being dug from the Lebanese village of Ramyeh and has already crossed into Israeli territory.

After the Israel Defence Forces recognised the need to deal with the Hezbollah tunnels in 2015, a group of intelligence and army experts suggested a plan to later destroy the tunnels should be prepared. He expanded on his comments on Thursday.

Grace Millane: Disappearance of British backpacker being investigated as murder
The Millane family have requested privacy at this time and will not be making any further statements at this stage. Millane had been in New Zealand for two weeks, the UK's Press Association news agency reported.

In his call with Guterres, Netanyahu's office said he urged the UN Chief to strongly condemn Hezbollah for violating Israel's sovereignty and the ceasefire reached in UN Security Council Resolution #1701.

But what's significant is Netanyahu's domestic situation, which is in deep crisis, due to the change of battle rule as his minister of defense' resignation, and on the other hand because of the Netanyahu and his wife's corruption scandal.

Israeli forces did not enter Lebanese territory.

Iran envoy Hook told the Free Beacon that despite protestations from some European governments about the implementation of harsh new US sanctions on Iran last month, European companies have been more than willing to go along with the Trump administration in order to avoid penalties.

On a daily basis in Southern Lebanon residents hear, if they don't see, Israeli drones buzzing away like huge mosquitoes in the sky.

The statement came after reports of Lebanese parliament speaker Nabih Berri saying that the IDF had not given information about the tunnels.

The Lebanese army issued a statement to the military movements of the Zionist regime near the occupied Palestinian border with Lebanon.

The question on the minds of Middle East analysts is why Netanyahu is moving this subject to the forefront of the region and implicitly threatening war against Lebanon.

Latest News