Infantino said five members of the Council did not attend the meeting, the first for FIFA's leadership in the US since American law enforcement arrested numerous sport's top officials in 2015 on corruption charges.
"I think as Federation Internationale de Football Association, we have a duty to look into that", said Infantino about the possible World Cup expansion.
In 2017, the body decided that the 2026 World Cup will feature 48 teams when it is co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico. Infantino wants Europe to provide eight of the 24 teams, with six coming from South America, three each from Africa, Asia and the Concacaf region and one from Oceania. Recent reports have indicated the Confederations Cup, a competition between confederation champions on the national team front that previously served as a trial run for the following year's World Cup host, will not take place any longer.
A quadrennial version would launch in June-July 2021 to replace the current Club World Cup, a seven-team event played each December.
The FIFA Council agreed to introduce a pilot tournament of an enlarged 24-team Club World Cup in 2021 despite European opposition.
CEO of troubled Wells Fargo says bank is stronger
He said that the company had made changes to corporate policy that would prevent future misdeeds "as best we can". The bank has almost $2 trillion in assets, more than 260,000 employees and 70 million customers.
Friday's meeting of FIFA's ruling council chose to "explore this possibility further and analyse if a joint expansion proposal that meets all the necessary requirements can be submitted to the FIFA Council and the FIFA Congress in June".
In a letter that was leaked on Friday, the ECA's executive board, including board members at Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid, said they would not take part in any new competition until 2024 at the earliest.
The signatories said they are "firmly against any approval of a revised Club World Cup at this point in time and confirm that no ECA clubs would take part to such a competition". "If it doesn't happen - fantastic also".
No venue has been mentioned for the inaugural tournament, but it is scheduled to take the slot now reserved for the Confederations Cup in 2021. Javier Ceppi, the then U-17 men's World Cup tournament director congratulated India after the development with a tweet saying, "amazing news for India and the women's game".
VAR, which made its debut at the 2018 World Cup in Russian Federation, will now be deployed for the women's tournament which kicks off in June in France.