Nebraska farmer gruesomely saves his own life after getting stuck in equipment

Nebraska farmer amputates his own leg to save life after getting stuck in machinery

Nebraska farmer Kurt Kaser amputated his own leg after he was sucked into a piece of equipment

A United States farmer is recovering after cutting off his own leg with a pocket knife to save himself from a piece of farm equipment he had become caught in.

Kurt Kaser has been a grain farmer for more than four decades, but last month, the 63-year-old Nebraska man "paid the price of being in a hurry and not paying attention", he tells WMUR.

Kaser spent a week in the hospital after amputation of the remaining destroyed flesh, then two weeks at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln.

So, he took his pocket knife out and sawed off his leg below the knee.

"So I just started sawin' on it", he said, matter-of-factly.

"It just sucked my leg in and I was trying to pull it out, but it kept pulling", he says. "I about gave up and let it do what it was going to do", he told the Omaha World-Herald.

‘Rick And Morty’ Sets Fall Return For Season 4 On Adult Swim
As it turns out, the wait's not going to be anywhere near as long as he let on. "We're excited for Rick and Morty more episodes, on".

He said his family was not home and he knew it would be a while before anyone arrived at the farm.

After he tried to free himself but couldn't, Kaser decided the only way out was by losing a limb. "I knew I was done cutting because I felt a amusing feeling, maybe it was a tendon I cut". "I felt it jerk me again and I thought it would grab me and pull me further".

Despite the nature of the accident, Kaser told local media that he remains optimistic because he will be able to walk again one day.

Mr Kaser then crawled 150ft across the farm to call for help, adding that he never lost consciousness and remembered his hospital journey.

"I stopped for a little bit but I didn't want to stop for long in case I passed out, there was no way for me to get help, everyone was gone at the time, I just did what I had to do and they (first responders) got me in a helicopter", he said. He was released from a rehab center Friday, and now must wait for his leg to fully heal before he can be fitted for a prosthetic.

Latest News